Today was the first day of the zero net waste challenge in my household.
Over the weekend, I bought a large recycling bin:
And also set up a worm farm:
The worm farm was reasonably easy to set up. All we had to do was buy 1200 worms, and a worm cafe starter kit. It’s now assembled and the worms are settling in quite nicely with some initial food scraps.
Some challenges and questions I have faced so far:
- Packaging for Gluten free food from Aldi is not recyclable.
- 1200 worms is not sufficient for a two person household. It is recommended that you have 1000 worms for each person in the household. As a result, the scraps seem to be lingering….
- Unsure what to do with dairy waste – I will need to research into whether this can be given to the worms.
- Meat scraps … not sure what to do with those – can’t give it to the worms. I will need to think of a solution for this.
- Avoiding plastic bags in the supermarket – everything seems to be wrapped in plastic, especially vegetables and meat.
This was the first day of the challenge, and we successfully achieved a zero net waste day!